Dear Parents and Community Members,
With news of the Coronavirus spreading across the country and around the world, including some isolated cases in Illinois, it is an excellent reminder of the importance of prevention in stopping the spread of viruses. While the Coronavirus causes fear because of the huge media coverage and the fact that it is new and little about the virus is known, the regular flu kills 36,000 Americans every year. Prevention is the key. It is important in these times to not panic, but to use common sense and accurate information to prevent the spread of any kind of flu. Parents, at a minimum, please follow these guidelines:
- If your child exhibits any flu like symptoms, please do not send him or her to school. Take your child to the doctor immediately for a diagnosis.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Make sure your child gets plenty of sleep.
- Make certain your child is provided nutritious meals and he or she drinks plenty of water.
- Teach your child to cover his or her coughs and sneezes to help prevent the spread of illness.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- In these times, your child should avoid casual contact as much as possible.
At school, we will make certain that the surfaces of desks, door handles and other areas are sanitized daily. Teachers and aides will emphasize good hand washing at school, particularly at the lower grade levels. School personnel will also notify you in the event your child becomes ill or exhibits flu-like symptoms.
In the unlikely event the Coronavirus spreads to our community or to one of our schools in particular, you will be contacted immediately with the steps we will follow. We will not take any chances with this virus, but any course of action we take will be dependent on the specifics of the situation, as well as guidance provided by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and/or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Below are some resources that should be of assistance to you. I would encourage you to review these items and discuss flu prevention with your child. Thank you for working with us to keep all children safe and healthy.
Seneca Grade School Administration
Information--CDC webpage providing valuable information regarding coronavirus:
Coronavirus Resource link:
Download the SGS Communication (PDF) here... https://5il.co/de6q